Wednesday 12 November 2014

When the customer is right -- even when they're wrong

There probably isn't a week or month that goes by that you haven't had a customer service experience that is memorable for being positive or negative.

Whether it's buying an exotic beverage at your favourite coffee shop, shopping for groceries or making a big ticket purchase, these experiences can help shape who you reward with your business.

With Twitter, Facebook and other popular forms of social media joining the mainstream media, it's easier than ever for consumers to air their grievances about receiving bad customer service. Businesses can no longer hide behind a rock and hope the next day's newspaper or newcast moves on to another story.

It's rare that good stories get any play since they aren't as sexy or controversial. Healthy, successful companies with a long track record -- or those on the rise -- have to be content with a link between customer satisfaction and rising sales.

One company that deserves credit for going to extra lengths to keep its customers happy is Amazon. Let me tell you why.

Earlier this year, I took advantage of some great deals using Amazon's "Bargain Books" text link. In my rush to lock in some of the titles that caught my attention, I inadvertently ordered two copies of retired pilot Capt. Chesley 'Sully' Sullenberger's book Making a Difference.

A second copy of 'Sully' Sullenberger's
book will find a good home shortly.
I didn't realize my error until the order arrived in the mail and I found two copies of the book. At first, I thought Amazon made an error and gave me two copies by mistake. However, when I scanned the invoice, I noticed I had in fact ordered two copies and been charged for both ($4.55 per copy).

For the first time ever, I sent an email to Amazon, noting my error and asked if I could return the book and receive a refund. I was surprised to receive the following email the same day.

'I apologize for the inconvenience caused due to this order...In this case, there's no need to return the item for us to issue a refund. You're welcome to keep, donate or dispose of it--whichever option is most appropriate and convenient for you. I've requested a refund for CDN$ 4.55, the cost of the item and shipping costs (if any)...

I hope this solution works for you. We look forward to seeing you again soon.'

In addition to being impressed that Amazon was willing to provide a refund for my error and allow me to keep the extra book, I was also shocked that the refund was processed the same day that I sent the email.

In doing some research on Amazon founder and President and CEO Jeff Bezos, I shouldn't have been surprised. A Forbes article on Bezos chronicled how he has nurtured an exceptional customer service culture at the company since it launched in 1994. It's this strong commitment -- combined with low prices and a great selection of products -- that keep customers such as myself coming back.
Jeff Bezos was named 
Time's Person of the Year
15 years ago (1999).

As for the second book that I received in error, I'm pleased to tell you it will be going to a good home shortly. I plan to give it to a local charitable organization along with some toys my family drops off before the holidays each year. It's a gesture that I am sure Jeff Bezos would appreciate.

Bonus content:
  • Why I ordered Sully's book (twice by accident): Video coverage of his daring rescue on January 15, 2009
  • Conde Nast feature on Sully Sullenberger/Making a Difference book
  • Entrepreneur magazine article on customer service


2 comments:

  1. Congrats Michael - great post! I am so envious of your design and will be parking myself next to you on our next class, so I can learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate the feedback Marina, though the design is available through blogger. MT

    ReplyDelete